All mums have certain things that we struggle with. Sleep deprivation being probably the most talked about topic. Cafes are filled with groups of mums seeking guidance and solace in coffee and friendship.
We talk about the big topics. But what about those small everyday niggling things that just sometimes take their toll? Here are my 12 biggest mum complaints. Can you add anything to my list?
1. People that mow their lawns. It doesn’t matter if it is even at an appropriate lawn mowing time. It always seems to coincide with our baby's sleep time. The same goes for dogs that bark, and neighbours with kids who play musical instruments.
2. Delivery men that bang on your door, or ring your doorbell more than once. They are even worse than annoying neighbours because they are on my property. If I don't answer the door, I am ignoring you for a reason. Leave the package and go!
3. How tiny the Netflix remote is. They should make Netflix remote tracking devices you can wear around your neck.
4. Cafes with stairs out the front. Trying to get a pram into a cafe that has stairs is now something I actively avoid, opt instead for ones either without stairs or those miracle places that have walk up windows.
5. People without kids who complain that they are tired. Actually, you don’t know what tired is. Just shut up.
6. Teenage baristas. Coffee is everything to me. Is it so much to ask that it is made by someone over the age of nineteen who actually drinks coffee and understands it values?
7. The words hand, foot and mouth. I never even knew this virus existed in modern times. I thought it was like the plague and was eradicated. But these three words will send chills down the spine of any parent that hears them.
8.Rain. Rainy mornings used to mean a lie in and a good long read in bed. Now it means being stuck inside with a rambunctious toddler. When it rains for days on end, you feel like you're being punished for something.
9. Shops and cafes that don’t open until 9am. Yes I know that is when most businesses start trading but I get up at 5am nearly every day. Don’t they know how much business they miss out on from parents all across Australia? I want my breakfast, coffee and groceries at 6am.
10. Off the shoulder tops. Or any top where I cannot wear my completely ugly but functional maternity bra. Last season was full of these cutesy little off the shoulder tops. I could not wear any. Off the shoulder tops are just not practical as a Mum.
11. Magpies. Devils of the sky. Propellers of evil that swoop you at any unsuspecting moment. My mum mates and I have an ongoing commentary of the ‘local’ magpies and where to avoid them. Quite sad really, but necessary.
12. Unfenced playgrounds. Seriously, if I wanted to spend time chasing my toddler away from the road and back into the play area, I would have just stayed at home. Also, why are the slides always so steep? This isn’t an amusement park people.
I need to follow this up with a list of things I now love as a mum but I am too annoyed right now from writing this list.
What do you struggle with now that you are a parent?